Sad, Sad Sourdough Starters

All they kneaded was love...

After trying so hard and giving it my all, my sourdough starters still have not grown. I have observed very few changes and very little progress in my sourdough starters this week. For the most part, I have been following the given procedures very closely using all the suggested measurements and materials. Perhaps I have done everything correctly and all they kneaded was love. 


OBSERVATIONS

Although there were not many significant changes throughout the week to give updates on, I will be sharing data and observations relevant to any of the changes in the appearances, consistencies, and aromas of my sourdoughs, and I will also indicate any slight changes in times and procedure. My sourdough starters have remained in the same location throughout the entire week. 

January 28th, 8:00 am. 
Since I began my sourdough starters on January 27th, my first feeding and recording of data and observations occurred on January 28th at approximately 8:00 am. The appearances and smells of both the control starter and experimental starter had not changed from the previous day. The control starter seemed to be slightly thicker and a little more difficult to stir than the experimental starter containing applesauce. 



This image to the left shows both sourdough starters on January 28th around 8:00 am before I stirred and fed them for the first time. From this view, you can see that the starters have not changed or risen since they look identical to the images in my previous post. 



This image to the right was taken on the same day and at the same time. From this angle you should be able to see how smooth the surfaces of both starters were. The cup on the left is the control starter, and the cup on the right is the experimental starter. 


January 29th, 8:00 am. 
On Friday, I observed a change in the aroma coming from my control starter. It had a rather unpleasant smell that reminded me a little of vinegar or maybe sweaty feet. My control starter had become even thicker, stickier, and harder to stir, so I decided to add an extra 1.25 mL of water during this feeding. I used the normal, given procedure for my experimental starter. 

January 30th, 8:30 am. 
Saturday was the third feeding for my sourdough starters. I was a little later getting up that morning and did not manage to feed them until about 8:30 am. Since I have been feeding them on a 24-hour schedule, I continued to feed both starters at approximately 8:30 am. each of the following days. I made a few new observations on this day which included: 


Both of these photos were taken at approximately 8:30 am
on January 30th. I took these images before the third feeding.
In the image shown to left, you will see the control
starter on the left and the experimental starter on the right.
It may be difficult to see in an image this small, but the hard
white bubble mentioned in the control starter is visible. 
  • hard white bubble on control starter surface
  • very stiff and stretchy surface on control starter
  • yellow, darker surface on control starter
  • darker surface with yellow areas on experimental starter
  • stronger sour smell coming from control starter
  • stronger smell from experimental starter, not unpleasant




January 31st, 8:30 am. 
There were not any noticeable changes observed on Sunday, the day of the fourth feeding. 

February 1st, 8:30 am.
For the first time since I began my sourdough starters, my experimental starter was more difficult to stir than my control starter during the fifth feeding. There were no changes in the appearances or aromas of the starters. 

February 2nd, 8:30 am. 
On Tuesday, the day of the sixth feeding, I noticed a few bubbles on the surface of the starters. They were very small, and the surface of both starters had become quite firm. The colors had not changed but there was a difference in the smell. The aroma from the control starter was not as unpleasant as it had been. 

This image shows both starters on February 2nd
 at approximately 8:30 am before I stirred or fed
them. From this angle you can see that there
still has not been any rising and there appears
to be the same volume in each cup.
 
I took this photo on the same day at the same
time. This gives a better view of the surfaces of
the starters. The cup on the left is the
experimental starter, and the cup on the right is
the control starter. 

















This is a close-up of the experimental starter that
was taken on the same day around the same time. 
This image also shows a few dark spots that were
actually bubbles on the surface. 
Here is a close-up of the control starter that was
also taken around 8:30 am on February 2nd.
If you are able to zoom in, you may be able to see
 very small bubbles on the surface.
 















February 3rd, 8:30 am. 
During the seventh feeding, I noticed that the experimental starter once again had a few small bubbles on the surface similar to the previous day. The control starter, however, had a smooth surface with no visible bubbles. The control stater seemed to be losing its unpleasant smell while the experimental starter still maintained its original aroma. Since the control starter seemed to be even more watery during this feeding, I decided to add an extra 1/4 of a teaspoon of flour while still adding the usual amount of water. 

February 4th, 8:30 am. 
This morning was my eighth time feeding my sourdough starters. There still have not been many changes. The control starter had a smooth surface with no bubbles at all. Its consistency during the stirring was still watery even after I added a little extra flour yesterday. There was hardly any aroma to be observed from the control starter. The experimental starter had no change in smell or appearance. Its consistency was also pretty thin. I used the given procedure for this feeding. 


CHALLENGES

I have encountered quite a few challenges with my sourdough starters throughout the week. There were multiple feedings where I changed up the procedure because the consistencies were too thick or too thin. I also had to change the feeding time a little as a result of oversleeping one day. I was definitely expecting to see more progress by now. After an entire week of attempting to grow my starters, I still have not noticed the "hooch" yet so I have continued feeding them on a 24-hour schedule. 


UNTIL NEXT TIME...

Since I have not seen much progress from my current sourdough starters, I will most likely be starting new ones this weekend. I have not decided if I will be using the same fruit in my new experimental starter or if I will be trying something new, but I do know that I will be naming these and giving them all the love. Hopefully, I will get some results this time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring Sequencing Analysis & Final Project

Unique Microbe Analysis

Sample Sequencing